Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Quote of the Day

"you offer your pupils the appearance of wisdom, not true wisdom, for they will read many things without instruction and will therefore seem to know many things, when they are for the most part ignorant and hard to get along with, since they are not wise, but only appear wise" John Nay wrote this quote from Plato on February 4th. How I missed it until now I don't know, but now that I've seen it I think I'll add it to my list of "favorite quotes to recite at boring parties". But seriously, I like it, and not only because it pertains to people who claim to be English majors. I know a professor whom that quote fits quite well actually. Looking at the philosophical side of the quote, what else can we offer except appearances? Whether of ignorance or wisdom, we can only offer an appearance of a state of being. So what is true wisdom? Maybe it's knowing when to stop writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment